Go Gemmie, it’s ya birfday!
I spent this past holiday weekend with 3 of my closest friends in Milwaukee, WI. The 4 of us met in Pittsburgh – 3 of us working on our PhDs, 1 doing her post-PhD training – and over the last 2 years we have each moved away and started new jobs. It was our first time all being together in about a year. So naturally we did it BIG – the turn up was mad real lol. And we were all reminded just how old we were getting – partying hard one night kept us pretty low key the rest of the weekend lol. It was a wonderful reunion, filled with lots of laughs, shenanigans, Lime and Strawberitas (aka “thot juice”), shots of Peach Ciroc, twerking, and brunching. We’re ratchet bougie Black girls, what can I say?
Though we did not gather to celebrate my birthday, or even the birth of our nation’s independence (we’re Black intellectuals – we can only get so excited about so-called “independence” in this b*tch), I still technically falls under my bday month-long celebration of life. We’re half way through 2014, I’m another year older, and traveling more to spend time with friends was part of my list for things to do this year.
And I figure my born day is as good as any to revisit my 2014 resolutions and do a half-year-in-review.
- Lose 15lbs before 31 ~ Since last year, I’ve lost about 20lbs. 10 of those lbs were shed since the beginning of 2014. Thanks to #SexyShred Cycle V (Feminista Jones is brilliant for starting this!!) I have been on my nutrition and fitness grind! I workout about 4 times a week and try to eat pretty balanced, well portioned meals. I’m definitely leaner (went down a size in pants), stronger, and more motivated to live an active, healthy life with few excuses. I still slack off every now and then, but I don’t go longer than a week before getting it back together. I’m doing it for the abs! #SummerTimeFine
- F*ck b*tches, get money ~ I technically didn’t f*ck b*tches, but I did get the smallest of raises at work. So, check!
- Run a 10k~ Almost. Ran an 8k in March. A 10k is in the works before the end of this year.
- Get my mile down to 10 or less ~ Done! Again, thanks to #SexyShred I pushed myself like never before. Though I still run about a 10min mile outside, I can get it to 9min on the treadmill. I’m like a frikkin hamster going ham on a wheel!
- Reduce my cc debt by 50% ~ Uhhhhh skip…
- Incorporate more prayer and bible study into my daily/weekly routine ~ I’m definitely struggling with this. I go long periods of time avoiding personal prayer/bible study time. Not sure why but I need to fix this.
- Take 3 “fun” trips ~ I’m 2 fun trips in! One to ATL for a good friend’s wedding, the other this past weekend in MKE. I’m on track to take 2 more (at least) before the end of the year.
- Blog once a month about my “progress” ~ Yeeeeaaaaah about that… 1 per 6months is almost the same right?
- Make more lists ~ I’m kind of doing this. Sometimes I make list and forget them. But I’m definitely more on top of getting tasks done and not forgetting. Still a work in progress.
- Spend Christmas and New Year’s Eve (for 2015) with the love of my life ~ Still TBD 😉
- Live out “Partition” – the lyrics or video, either or ~ Nunya.
In terms of other updates NOT on my 2014 To Do List, I bought a new car (praise the Lord for amazing parents who helped a sista out!) a few weeks ago and the love of my life “moved” (at least himself and clothes for now lol) to Portland yesterday!!!!! 2014 is shaping up to be as grand as I’d hoped! I am in a good place. Things aren’t perfect but I’m content and eager to see what the rest of the year has to offer.
How was your 4th of July weekend? Now that we’re in the 2nd half of the year, how are you feeling? Are things going like you planned/hoped? Do you need to do some reevaluating? Any good news to share?
Older & wiser,