Welp…. There is soooo much to say about this week in football. So much has happened, on the field and [especially] off!!! Where do I begin???
- Raiders beat the Browns in Oakland on a day dedicated to the crypt keeper1 face of the franchise, Al Davis. So sweet, so touching *tear*
- The Giants needed to restore their pride from last week’s loss against the Seahawks and took it out on my adopted-team, the Bills. Not gonna lie, this hurt my feelings a little bit.
- The Steelers [barely] beat the Jags. This is a “big win” because, well, Mendenhall actually put in some damn work. And my fantasy team, for once, doesn’t regret starting him. o/
- Bucs rally to beat the Saints, bouncing back from an embarrassing, anal-pounding loss to the 49ers last week. Still not convinced the Bucs aren’t mediocre.
- In a wincing commotion of “Who’s My QB?”, the Eagles ended a 4-game losing streak against the Redskins. It was an ugly display of athleticism but, congrats(?) anyway Philly, I guess…
- Who would have ever thunk that the 49ers would be the 1st team to deliver the Lions their 1st L this season?! In Detroit, no less! San Fran ain’t playin games!! Watch out now!! #oww
- Nevermind the ball being wrongly spotted by officials, giving 5 extra yards, on the game-winning drive. Minor details.
- Da Bears beat the VIkings to a pulp, leaving nothing but McNabb’s withered talent and dignity to show for it. (more on McNabb later)
- Who in the hell left the gate open forgot to give Minny the memo about Devin Hester?? I hope they watch his 98yd kick return for a TD film over and over to commit the “Never kick to Hester… EVER” rule to memory. Minny should add “be sure to kick that kicker’s ass” to the list too.
A Clash of Coaches
- Among the injuries of the day was NO’s head coach Sean Payton literally getting his knee caps busted by one of his players and (in the same game) Bucs DB coach Jimmy Lake getting his knee cap busted doing a “we got an INT” happy dance. “It’s only fun until someone gets hurt” – Mama Gem
- Meanwhile, Philly head coach Andy Reid’s walrus belly is getting punched by LeSean McCoy in excitement. Seeing the blubber jiggle in slo-mo, and Andy’s exasperated reaction is hilarious and gross all at the same time. “Must be jelly cuz jam don’t shake like that” – Black folk
- By far, the highlight of the day was the Jim vs. Jim scuffle after the 49ers/Lions game. Harbough got waaay too crunk and overreacted. But I mean, if you gone start some mess, I personally would have liked to see some head bussin…
- Sidenote: I think it’s a crock that the league didn’t sanction either coach. Players are held to all kinds of standards2 but coaches get a pass on rowdy behavior???(-_-) Oh. Ok.
- Off field, shots were fired when Rex Ryan said he’d have won SB rings for my hometown by now had the Bolts hired him back in 2007. Oh? Like the rings you promised your Jets, Rexy? Wait…. (o_O) *sigh* Rex, until you have a championship to justly talk ish,3 put a toe in your mouth and STFU.
QB Conundrums, Conquests and Catastrophes
- Carson Palmer is a Raider! Wow! For me, kinda ruins the only positive—black QB/head coach partnership—thing going for this team but since I don’t root for them on principal anyway, it doesn’t matter… *kanye shrug*
- Nacho thinks his piss poor performance (56.1 passer rating) against the “Suck for Luck” Dolphins means the Jets are “back on track.” *scratches head* Uhhh, ok. We’ll see about that.
- Cam Newton ain’t the only rookie QB proving to be effective. Andy “Red Rifle” Dalton has been out there BALLIN! Sunday he had a passer rating of 111.5 (his 3rd time with a rating over 100). And unlike Newton, the “Ginger” is WINNING! o/
- Before you lose faith in my man Fitzpatrick and his Bills, did you know that Fitzpatrick has only been sacked 3 times all year (compared to Brady’s 8 and A-Rodge’s 11 sacks)?? The Bills seem to actually like their QB enough to protect him. That’s an O-line I can get behind!! (<–see what I did there?)
- McNabb had the nerve to tell reporters that he “had a lot of football left.” In a game of Madden perhaps. Donovan, I hate to say this but, if yo own mama can’t even stand to witness you get annihilated, what makes you think you can enlist the trust of other players? Not enough soup in the world to nurse you back to business. Sorry.
- Quiet as it’s kept, Eli Manning is truly on a mission to make my boo Peyton proud of him. He’s got some solid stats (ranking 3rd behind A-Rodge and Brady). On top of the fact that he’s quite the prankster! For some reason that makes him more likable to me. So the next time my mom jokingly refers to Eli as being my “brother in law,” I’ll actually be more welcoming and think of him fondly 🙂
The Fan Fare
What is your favorite thing about the NFL, beside the actual game?
Wu says: My absolute favorite thing about the NFL is fandom. Fandom knows no age, race, sex, class, or religion. It is powerful enough to shutdown the nation the first Sunday every February. It transcends geography– It doesn’t matter if your team is in Oakland, California and you live in Moosetwat, Saskatchewan your fandom is apart of who you are. That fandom makes reasonably sane adults love 53 people that will never reciprocate the feeling. It’s the fandom that keeps legions of people pining for “next year” whether your team succeeds or fails. You just can’t beat the feeling.
B says: The addiction. It’s a drug to us (or, at least to me). People weren’t just sad about the lockout; there was weeping and gnashing of teeth. Watching my team win sends me into euphoria and watching them lose sends me into depression. I can’t watch a game without screaming, jumping, cussing, air punching, or fist pumping. And like any good addiction, I’m sure I’ve decreased my life expectancy because of all the heart attacks and aneurisms I’ve endured (thanks Redskins), but I can’t stop myself.
Did I miss anything? Has anyone changed their mind about which winless team will break their losing streak first? Feelings about Palmer being a Raider? What’s going to happen to the Grossman-less Skins? Will the upcoming Jets and Bolts game end in a draw? Why hasn’t there been a MNF game worth watching?
Until next week…
1 Too soon? My bad… Bad gemmie *slaps hand*
2 Players get fined for things as silly as uniform violations and “excessive” celebrations but coaches–the LEADERS and true professionals–knuckin and buckin suffer no repercussions?? I call bullshiggity.
3 Now, yall know I loathe Norv just as much as the next fan, and I must certainly would take Rexy over him ANY DAY. But you can’t be talking reckless with NO back up or follow through or evidence to support your claim. It just makes you sound like the moron you are.