Wow–another week of mayhem and [ego] murder!! In addition to bringing you my account on the week’s highlights, I’m also going to showcase a new segment here on the blog called “The Fan Fare”. I find that things that happen OFF the gridiron can be just as riveting as what happens on it. The fantasy leagues, the pick em pools, the news, the gossip, the trash talking, the tweets—they all enhance my viewing pleasure. So I asked a few other fans what they like most about football besides the game itself. Enjoy!
- HOLD. THE. PHONE. The DEEtroit not-so-cowardly Lions, Buffalo Wild Wings Bills, and the Washington Injuns Redskins are all 2-0!!!! (O_O) It’s a new day, people. Obama had it right when he coined the phrase, “the audacity of hope”.
- Yall know the Bills are my adopted sports kids, right?
- Down 18pts at the half and what does that Harvard grad Fitzpatrick do? Leads the Bills to score 5 consecutive TDs on all 5 2nd-half possessions! That’s what you call WERK!!! #IvyLeagueSwag
- Then you have the teams that are 0-2… *sigh* I’m so heartbroken to see Indy in that group, thanks to that geriatric a$s clown Kerry Collins!!! *weeps*
- P.S. Isn’t it ironic that my boo Peyton has the nickname “Fetus Face” by my labmates (since last season) and received stem cell treatment last week? I feel bad that it makes me guffaw.
- The only losing team people really care about are the Carolina Panthers. Why? Because Cam Newton happened. TWICE. Four hundred and thirty two yards in his 2nd pro game—this kid just might be a real QB. But Carolina’s gonna need some semblance of a running game to actually WIN games. #whenpassingCLEARLYisntenough
- Most un-noteworthy in loserville are the Dolphins, clearly MIA—missing in achievement. But how can they get direction (towards a W) when their coach says sh*t like, “It’s baffling… I don’t have any answers for it,” about their losses?? (-_-) WTF?? Sorry Miami, it’s not looking good for you guys.
- Another WTF moment came when Donovan McNabb said there was “no need to panic” that his team was 0-2. Oh really?? Well seeing as how his losses match the number of teams who kicked him to the curb, he probably finds comfort in the symmetry. #balance
- I wonder if McNabb smirked to himself watching Vick get smashed into his teammate while the Eagles slowly got picked apart by the Dirty Birds.
- I think Vick will always be his own worst enemy—he is bound to kill himself while giving his all in a game on any given Sunday. What should be the over/under for when this takes place?
- Boomer—“It was good for Vick and the Eagles, it was bad for Vick and the Eagles, it was UGLY for Vick and the Eagles.”
- @ethiopianboy: but who really thought Vick would make it through a whole season?
- By the way, can we give it up for Latinos doin BIG THINGS all around the league? We reppin!! Falcons’ TE Tony Gonzalez now fifth on the NFL’s career receiving list! #Orale
- Sidenote: Is it just me or is it apropos that Arizona has no Latino players (that I know of)?
- But back to beloved Latinos, Nacho is actually playing better than mediocre. Did you know he has more TDs than INTs so far this season? I know, I can hardly believe it either. #KudosSenor
- Meanwhile, Jet’s Antonio “the jokes about me write themselves” Cromartie thinks he’s asuperior player to the [now] Eagles CB Nnamdi Asomugha. (o_O) Is that why the Jets only re-signed you after Nnamdi said NO? Sir, please have a seat onRevisIsland. And while you’re there, learn how to tighten up on your coverage.
- In other news , the Seahawks soared about as high as a wing-clipped chicken against the Steelers. But what better way for the Steelers to bounce back from an a$s pounding (by another bird crew) than with a shut out? Never mind that it was an NFC West team. Minor details.
- While we’re on the subject of abysmal west coast divisions, can some one please explain to me how my boy Rivers threw a pick to NE DT Wilfork’s plump a$s (who ran for a good 20 yds)????? Cmon son[Diego]!! #dobetter
- I’m going to pretend that SD turnover (on the 1 yd line!!!!!!) that lead to a 99 yd drive and TD did NOT happen. #erasedfrommemory
- I did find it endearing, however, that Tom Brady has a sense of humor. Not only did he tells fans to get “lubed up” for the game (#twss?), but he also made a brave move by basically telling ex-player Tedy Bruschi (recall last week’s comment) to STFU. Maybe Tom’s human afterall…
The Fan Fare:
Ed said (hehe, that rhymes): The Pregame Ritual. In life, everyone has something they have to do to get ready to perform. You might need a quiet moment, pray, call your mama, or even do a little dance. Its what gets you in your mode. In football, there are similar rituals that players do to get themselves ready to compete. It might be Drew Brees getting the teamed pumped up, it might be Brian Dawkins giving an intense speech to the defense, or it might be Ray Lewis doing a shimmy, a two-step, a scream, and a pelvic thrust coming out of the tunnel. These rituals give me goosebumps and get me LIVE when I watch it, so I know that football players want to run through walls going through them. That’s whats I love about football, its what makes the “experience” so surreal.
Tanya said: Hmm..besides the NFL nap? I love the tradition of it. Sundays 1,4 and 830. The meetups, the wings, the trashtalk, the camaraderie, the rivalries… I also extra love twitter + NFL. I made twitter jail for the 1st time ever. Lol.
And there you have it. Did I miss anything good in my recap? Were there any other noteworthy game or player highlights that I forgot to mention? Is it possible for the Bills to have a winning season? Will Vick be as good as new come this Sunday? Are Cam Newton’s teeth to big for his head? Hmmmmm…
Lovin this game,